Sometimes we need to consider where we stand and where we are going. Both as a society, and individually.
Do you believe in the Peak Oil Theory? What if I told you that the world oil reserves are diminishing, due to increasing use and minimal new discovery. What if I told you that within my lifetime I believe that oil will be prohibitively expensive and supply will be unreliable, even in the larger cities.
What’s the upshot of all this? Could we really be on an oil free diet within a generation? Possibly. For those who don’t know much about it, this is a separate issue to all the hype about global warming, and has some pretty solid scientific backing….
This is not the wacky proclamation of a doomsday cult, apocalypse bible prophecy sect, or conspiracy theory society. Rather, it is the scientific conclusion of the best paid, most widely-respected geologists, physicists, bankers, and investors in the world. These are rational, professional, conservative individuals who are absolutely terrified by a phenomenon known as global “Peak Oil.”
“Are We ‘Running Out’? I Thought There Was 40 Years of the Stuff Left”
Oil will not just “run out” because all oil production follows a bell curve. This is true whether we’re talking about an individual field, a country, or on the planet as a whole.
Here’s some of the things I can see happening in my lifetime. I’d welcome your comments on any of these.
- Walking will become popular again
- Lawns will be replaced with profitable gardens
- Peak Hour traffic will be relieved
- Smog will disappear after hundreds of years on city skylines
- Air travel will diminish to military use only
- Supermarkets will contain tinned food and local produce only
- Solar panels will become popular
- People will turn off their car rather than idling
- Bananas won’t be sold in Alaska
- Bicycles will be the majority of traffic
- Wooden furniture and housing products will make a comeback
- Permaculture will become a commonplace word
- Markets based on continuous growth will collapse
- Webworkers will become the mainstay of business
- Plastics will actually be recycled
- My next car will be a horse
Peak Oil is a definite possibility. What are you doing to prepare?