Carolyn Stewart from the City of Penticton presents on the challenges of Cross Connection Control.
Framework for Crafting an Effective Program (CCCP)
– Define the Issues –
- increase budget line item and reduce risk of contamination.
- Local Health Authority requirements
- Financial, cost
- Election Year?
– Identify Stakeholders
- Internal – council, public works
- External – trades, business assoc. other municipalities
- departments that need buy-in and will help
- plumbers and suppliers can be front line for City
– Engage Stakeholders
- Technical Meetings
– Evaluate the Strengths or Weaknesses and Choose One Action Plan
- part time position
- administer only?
- premises isolation vs source to tap isolation – depending on internal risks.
- Risk Management
Developing Penticton’s ERP
- Report Backflow Incident Immediately (Stickers in all mechanical rooms) (Promoted through plumbers).- Penticton also has non-potable water sources
- Mitigating the risk – cross connection checklist – tied to the permitting process.
- Consider FOI
- Develop Standardized Forms – backflow Test Form etc.