The Province is in a position to use grant applications to guide or direct municipalities in a move to innovative solutions and projects. Listening to the presentation, it is clear that the guiding principles and philosophies are best implemented through community supported sustainability programs and management of projects.
- Best Management Practices
- Growth (can be built in, but grants are not for funding growth only projects).
Grants are typically not used for fixing infrastructure that hasn’t been looked after, although this is a perception. Grants are not there to reward poor behavior.
The program looks behind the scenes to the management and big picture, rather than just the actual project details.
The Perfect 10
Most of the grants require an application form to be filled out. The do’s and don’ts are obvious to some, but there are some things to remember.
- The Project is the “What” – the Application is the “what, where, when, why and how”.
- The Program Guide and Staff are there to help projects succeed.
- Projects should integrate with the goals of the program – public health, sustainability, environmental etc.
- Link back to OCP, management plans, holistic approach, initiatives, Climate Action Plan etc.
- Don’t answer “Not Applicable”!
- Integrated Planning Provides the foundation
- Projects must be supported by sustainable management principles
- Good projects are able to integrate various issues/mandates/initiatives
- Expect future grnat programs to include increased sustainability/BMP criteria