Anne Medcof of Hetek Solutions presents on water efficiency as a source of “real” water.
Due to global warming and the future (and present in some areas) water shortages there is an opportunity to spin off from the energy efficiency movement.
- Reduce CO2
- often more cost effective rather than developing new infrastructure
- ensure a safe water supply for years to come
- water is a finite resource
Water Efficiency was done haphazardly in the past – from terrible fixtures and crappy educational materials.
Today things are different:
- Children’s water festivals
- home water efficient landscape visits
- water saving devices
- leak detecting
- rebate incentives
- broad scale public education
These work in both large and small cities – just different scale of programs
- Residential Indoor and Outdoor
- Eductaion and Communication
- ICI Indoor and Outdoor
- Water Loss Management
7 Key stages to Water Efficiency
- Develop Strategy and Report. Detailed costs and water savings that you want to achieve. What are your limits? Cost restrictions? Design a pilot program that is a representative sample of the community. Decide on mechanisms, incentives, implementation methods, and monitoring and evaluating the programs. What is the ongoing maintenance of the program?
- Develop Pilot Program. Gather information on the sectors that are being targeted. Select appropriate pilot program tpes for each sector. District Meter Area (DMA) can be used to check results of participant area against non.
- Implement Pilot Program. Need to set up monitoring.
- Develop Full Program. Evaluate Pilot Program results. Targets and cost benefit analysis.
- Implement Full Program. Usually up to 10 year or more. These programs are dynamic and flexible. Worth having program version numbers.
- Monitoring and Evaluation. Same as pilot, confirm water saving, adjust as necesssary and report results.
- Ongoing Maintenance. Customer Call Center, maintenance personnel, education of water users, representative auditing of residential and ICI facilities. Needs a tracking system to record and generate reports.